Content warning: long, thoughts about tumblr and what its differentiating factors are to me
- You couldn't op-out of data collection by advertising parties
- The mobile app was always broken in a variety of interesting ways
- Posts, and even hashtags, were not compatible between mobile and desktop; I mean, how did they even achieve this?
- They didn't take any action against obviously bad accounts, even after they took action against accounts that didn't hurt anyone; lots of follow-spam
So it was with dread that I noticed they now force you to accept their terms and conditions upon login, rather then showing a persistent banner after login. But it looks to me you can now opt-out of the third party data collection, so that's good.
Nowadays my web experience is first going through loads of buttons of 'legitimate interest' that I switch off before I can read the first page. This wasn't that much worse.
I'm still looking for something that can replace my tumblr itch though, but I also still need to define what itch that is. I think what it offered for me included:
- Able to publish publicly where it can be found by people with similar interests, beyond followers or even members
- Able to follow blogs and reshare their posts on your own blog, when they fit your aesthetic or you have something to add
- Posting photo sets where you could arrange and order them in rows of 1 to 3 photos, i.e. control over the visual appearance of your post and its attachments
- Until a few years ago, it was the opposite of a conversational platform, you couldn't even reply. When they did add replies, you weren't bothered by them with notifications and stuff; the whole right-wing world could fall over your post and you just wouldn't know until you looked. The main interactions with other posts remained the retweets and the quote-tweets; everything you posted was presented as an OP on your own blog
- Edit. Rich text. Long form. Hashtags with spaces. Basically, no artificial limitations.
- In my experience, people were just having fun, showing their admiration for what interested them. I know other people's experience may have been different.
Maybe I can already do all this with the current fediverse tools. Maybe a theme onto Wordpress or Friendica can make it behave like this. But I keep feeling that the focus of the current fediverse platforms on privacy and conversations is opposite to a tumblr-like publishing platform.
Hang on, why would I want to end the agreement?
Marquis Kurt 🔨🐺 likes this.
It's not even about them not doing the same thing. It's still that game: if your opponent has an opportunity to attack you back on the same thing, but doesn't, they don't see their own failing, but their opponent's weakness.
This is even true with Clinton's email server: they weren't phased one bit when it came out they did the same thing, because that never was the issue.
So don't debate back on the issue. Ignore. Don't point out the hypocrisy, they don't care. Don't reply. Counter with things they do wrong, for there are many.
#MirandaCosgrove #iCarly #LeadActressesAllTheWay
Select all squares with a pipe
Before I was going to make this joke picture myself, I realised it must have been done before. h/t https://twitter.com/BenceNanay/status/1068873918088445952
clacke: looking for something 🇸🇪🇭🇰💙💛, Deadly Headshot, Isaac Ji Kuo, Sabogato (they/them), jack, ClaudioM, An Owlbear (moved), Paul Gatling and cseiler like this.
clacke: looking for something 🇸🇪🇭🇰💙💛, Hyolobrika, Nova, weeee, Juha Autero, Rev. Onan Canobite, SubGenius, ClaudioM, HiroProtagonist, SirVo 🇨🇦, PseudoNovalis and Kermode reshared this.
clacke: looking for something 🇸🇪🇭🇰💙💛 and Deadly Headshot like this.
"So we prepared and tested to automatically and regularly delete log files on this computer, but we have enough storage, they are only small and who knows we need them anyway, what even are inodes" (a Mars rover)
Edit: in trying to find details for the latter point I can only find info about the Spirit rover running out of disk space due to forgetting to delete old files, so nothing to do with inodes nor with a change of plan. So I guess I was misinformed about that.
"I mean, anyone would think that a vagina was an invisibility cloak."-- Carolyn
Watching Stephanie Leonidas in the episode she filmed in Amsterdam, for Van der Valk, since the dvd arrived.
Stephanie Leonidas - IMDb
Stephanie Leonidas, Actress: Mirrormask. Stephanie Leonidas was born on February 14, 1984 in London, England. She is an actress, known for Mirrormask (2005), American Gothic (2016) and Defiance (2013).Stephanie Leonidas (IMDb)
The Fallout (2021) - IMDb
The Fallout: Directed by Megan Park. With Jenna Ortega, Maddie Ziegler, Niles Fitch, Will Ropp. High schooler Vada navigates the emotional fallout she experiences in the wake of a school tragedy.IMDb
Also her parents have to deal with this ultimate fear of nearly having lost their child. When the little sister remarks that the shooter followed Vada on Instagram so he must have known her (even though she didn't know him) it brings out renewed sobs from the mother: this brings the horror even closer to her child. Later in the film there's a line where Vada says 'what would you do without me' and her mother had to steady herself.
Tony Stark likes this.
Season four of You (on Netflix) will have the amazingly talented Amy-Leigh Hickman in it. I'm also hoping we are getting Jenna Ortega back as Ellie, who already showed her extraordinary talents in S2. That would make for the perfect season!
'You' Adds Tilly Keeper, Amy Leigh Hickman, Ed Speleers & Brad Alexander Among New Cast For London-Set Season 4
EXCLUSIVE: Tilly Keeper, Amy Leigh Hickman, and Ed Speleers have joined You as series regulars opposite Penn Badgley in the upcoming fourth season of the Netflix series, which will be set in a new location, London.Nellie Andreeva (Deadline)
#Studio666Movie #XMovie #ScreamMovie #JennaOrtega
Dove Cameron - Boyfriend (Official Video)
Official Video for "Boyfriend” by Dove Cameron Listen & Download “Boyfriend" out now: https://ffm.to/dcbfhttps://dovecameron.lnk.to/boyfriendAmazon Music htt...YouTube
Let them. There are short term, midterm and long term solutions that we should have done ages ago. Let's use this blackmail to actually go ahead and achieve energy independence (from some other countries as well) and save the environment at the same time. It'll cost money, damage the economy, but that's both the price to pay for taking a moral stance to not finance a war, and the cost of acting too late to get our energy consumption in order. It's not as if we didn't know this already.
Scimmia di Mare :unverified: likes this.
Beko Pharm likes this.